Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Last Couple of Weeks

Time is flying by here is Cape Town! I have been going on adventure after adventure and learning more and more about South Africa and the Democratic Alliance. My time in the office has been relatively the same since I started; meeting new people, working on admin tasks, and attending press conferences. The DA Youth Director did ask for my help in the research of entrepreneurship and ways the government can help to encourage participation. The main goal is to create jobs and get the youth moving in the right direction. It is insane to think that 72% of the youth in South Africa is unemployed. The research project with the DA Youth is quite the task but obviously something needs to be done and I am happy to help. Inside of work I always enjoy the press conferences. The most recent I attended was to announce Lindiwe Mazibuko, DA Spokespersons, campaign against current DA Parliamentary Leader, Athol Trollip. Every two and a half years there are internal elections and October 27th I will be able to see the elections. I will let you know how it goes. Interning with the DA really is never a disappointment, they keep me busy learning all about South African politics; its GREAT!

Once I am home from work in parliament I start in on the fun stuff; exploring! About two weeks ago the weather was not too great so Brandon and I stayed inside and went to a comedy show called Monkey Nuts. It was very funny!!! I had a hard time understanding all the accents but what I could understand was great. We also were shown by a local one of the only places to get Mexican food, Fat Cactus. It was pretty good for South Africa but nothing compares to the States Mexican food. For example I was served chips (French fries) with my burrito. After our funny night of comedy and Mexican food we went to Clifton beach the next afternoon. The weather was beautiful and the beach was full of excitement. The water was still very cold but the sun and sand were awesome. On the beach it is fun to just hang out because you get people coming around selling souvenirs, drinks, and ice cream.

After our lazy weekend on the beach the last weekend was awesome! Brandon and I went with our new friends to Muizenberg beach to swim and play American football. We got to the beach and it was FREAZING, pretty disappointing but we still played football and had lunch on the beach. There was also a shark sighting so even if it was nice there was no way I was going to get into the water!! Over the weekend we also went to MONKEY TOWN!!! Monkey Town is a zoo full of crazy monkeys. My favorite part of the day was when this little baby monkey stuck his arm out of the fence and held onto my finger. It was so cute; just like a little baby haha

Hope I caught everyone up with my adventures and internship! This week is going to be a good one; we have nice weather and COLDPLAY!!!!!!

Hope all is well! Cheers!



At the Beach by my Home

Now I am really part of the team!!!

Love these little guys

Baby Monkey that held my hand

Mmmmmm

Pizza ?

No comments:

Post a Comment